Musical Instruments

Musical Instruments

guitarist playing music

If you just want to insure your musical instrument(s) then look no further. We can offer a standalone insurance product that will cover these items without having to take out a basic level of possessions insurance with us.

Why choose Cover4students for your musical instrument insurance:

  • Specialist Student Insurance
  • New for Old cover
  • Low £25 claim excess
  • Cover up to £3,000
  • Instant cover available – no waiting period

Our student musical instrument cover is designed to cover your instrument(s) such as guitars, drums, keyboards etc.

This product is available to all students whether you are studying music or you’re budding singer song writer a member of the next big band we can cover your instrument(s) up to £3,000.

We Make It Easy

You can get a quote in seconds; all we need to know is the total combined value of your musical instruments that you wish to insure.

Cover can be taken out instantly and policy documents will be emailed to you.

We also offer a 14 day cooling off period meaning if you decide for any reason that the policy does not meet your requirements within 14 days. We offer r a full refund of your premium guarantee if you decide to cancel provided no claim has been made or pending.

Musical Instruments Quote

Policy Features

At Cover4students we understand that you may already have personal possessions insurance within your accommodation via a University Block Student Contents Insurance scheme (i.e. If you are in halls of residence) or by your parents’ home insurance policy – so why should you have to take out a full contents insurance policy to extend the cover to include your musical instrument(s)? Well now you don’t, Cover4students has an insurance for students product that allows you to just cover the items you require such as your guitar, keyboard or drum kit.

Musical Equipment Covered:

  • Musical instruments insurance for students up to £3,000 in total.
  • Theft – Covers your musical instruments if it is stolen from your person or your property.
  • Please note that there is no forcible violent entry or exit to the property requirement for your musical instruments to be covered.
  • Covered anywhere within the UK.
  • Accidental damage cover – e.g. you spill a drink over your keyboard.
  • Multiple instruments on one policy – no need to specify the instruments just put the total combined cost of them all.
  • Up to £100 towards the cost of hiring a temporary replacement.
  • Covered in shared accommodation without any forcible violent entry or exit requirements to your room or the property.
  • New for Old cover – meaning we replace items on a new for old basis regardless of age.
  • Low £25 claim excess – you only pay the first £25 of any claim.
  • Covered overnight in entertainment venues provided that the musical instruments are handed to the management and placed in a securely locked room, with any security devices in operation- up to a maximum of 72 hours at a time.

Our policy covers you for:

If you instrument is not an Orchestral Instrument – defined as brass, woodwind and stringed orchestral instruments and non-electric pianos then it is covered in this section.

For example: Guitar (Bass guitar, electric guitar), trumpet, keyboards, drum kit, according, mandolin, banjos to name just a few.

If you’re unsure as to whether your instrument can be covered, then please contact us on 0161 772 3390.

If you have an orchestral instrument as defined above we can also cover this under the orchestral section of the quote process.

To get a quote for your musical instruments insurance for students, all we need to know is the total cost of all your musical instruments and we can cover all these items under one policy.

For example: Guitar £500, keyboard £600 and a Trumpet £500 = £1,600 in total.

Musical Instruments Quote


If you purchase student musical instrument insurance from Cover4Students, we will send you an email confirming your purchase of cover and provide you with your personal policy schedule, policy wording and policy summary documents.

You will also have the option for a printed copy to be sent via post subject to an additional postage premium being paid.

We also provide the option below for you to view and download the Policy Wording and Policy Summary documents so that you can view prior to purchase or at any time after.

How to view the policy documents

The insurance for students policy documents are available as PDFs. To view these documents you will need a PDF reader. Download Adobe Reader from the
Adobe website or visit Access Adobe for help. To view your documents, please click on the links below:

Policies Purchased after 01/08/2023   
Adobe PDF Policy Wording  Claims Form 
Adobe PDF Policy IPID  
Policies Purchased after 01/03/2023
Policies Purchased up to 01/03/2023
Adobe PDF Policy Wording  Claims FormPolicy Wording Adobe PDF
Adobe PDF Policy IPIDPolicy IPID Adobe PDF
Insurance Product Information Document.
Musical Instruments Quote


To start the claims process, please complete the Claims Form provided below. Before submitting your claim, please read your policy schedule to make sure you are covered and have a valid claim.

If you have a valid claim please complete our online claim form listed above and return it along with:

  • Receipts, bills, valuations or repair estimates as appropriate for all claims for loss or damage.
  • Full details of accident or injury and early prognosis for personal accident claims.

All claims for theft or loss must be reported to the police.

In some cases we may arrange either for a member of our staff or an independent chartered loss adjuster to discuss your claim with you. This is not always necessary but when it is we will advise you of the name and address of the loss adjuster and monitor progress of the claim for you.

Please don’t worry if we arrange for a loss adjuster or member of staff to visit you. It is a normal claims procedure and aims to speed up consideration of claims.

Certain types of claims will be considered directly by the insurers if refereed to them by

Fill out the online claims form here:  Make A Claim

Phone: 0161 974 1101


Cover4students Claims Team,

Stream Claims Services,

Copthall House,

King Street,

Newcastle under Lyme,

ST5 1EL.

Musical Instruments Quote


We strongly recommend that you read the policy wording document to see a full list of the terms and conditions that apply to your policy with us. These can be downloaded from the Policy Documents Tab.

What Is Not Insured:

  • The first £25 of any loss.
  • Any amount above the sum insured selected for musical instrument(s).
  • Orchestral instruments and accessories.
  • Any claim damage to your musical instruments resulting from: -
    • Wear and tear or any gradually operating cause or determination, inherent or latest defect.
    • Wet or dry rot, mildew, frost, rust or corrosion.
    • Insects, vermin or woodworm.
    • Dyeing or restoration or any commercial process of cleaning or repairing.
    • Faulty design or workmanship on the use of the faulty materials.
  • Accessories or parts unless the instrument is damaged or stolen at the same time.
  • Breakage of strings and/or reeds and/or drum heads.
  • Loss or damage arising from electronic, electrical or mechanical breakdown, failure or derangement.
  • Loss or damage caused by:-
    • Climate or atmospheric conditions.
    • Dampness, dryness, shrinkage, contamination or extremes of temperature.
    • Effects of sunlight, fading, changes in colour texture or finish.
  • Theft by any person or persons to whom the property is entrusted.
  • Loss or damage to your musical instruments whilst left in an unattended vehicle.
  • Any portable computer equipment.
  • Delay confiscation, nationalisation or detention by customers or other government public authority.
  • Depreciation or diminution in value of your musical instrument(s) following repair.
  • Any loss or costs that is not directly associated with the incident that caused you to claim, unless specifically stated in the policy.
  • Loss or damage to your musical instrument(s) occurring at any place of entertainment where they have been left overnight, unless handed to the proprietor or manager of the place of entertainment for safe keeping locked away in secure storage with any installed security devices in operation.
  • Damage to your musical instrument(s) sustained in travel unless they are securely packed in purpose designed, rigid bodied case.
  • Accidental damage to cymbals.
  • Where your musical instruments are kept temporarily in any place which is not your insured address. Except where they have been handed to the management of an entertainment venue for safe keeping, the cover is operable providing that the musical instruments is in a secure locked room with any security devices in operation, up to a maximum period of 72 hours at a time.

Your Duty of Care

You must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent accidents, loss and damage.

Musical Instruments Quote


Yes, we can insure your musical instrument– but if the item needs to be replaced it will be replaced with a UK model /version to the closest specification.

Yes, we replace items where necessary on a new for old basis.

Musical instrument is intended to pay out when your instrument is accidentally damage or stolen. Not to be confused with a product warranty insurance – this insurance will not cover you for breakdown of the instrument due to mechanical failure, electronic faults or problems with instruments construction.

No, if for example you have mixing deck software on your laptop that you use with your keyboard you would need to cover the laptop separately. Our student product(s) policy will allow you to add computer equipment to your musical instrument policy.

Yes, there is no age limit on our policy. Please note that items are replaced on a new for old basis so if a claim does happen it will be replaced like for like with a similar item which is determined by your current items specification.

Yes, there is no requirement on the policy for forcible and violent entry or exit to the property. You would however need to report the theft to the police and gain a crime reference number.

This basically means that there doesn’t need to be a physical break-in to the property. As we are a specialist student insurer we understand that students often live in shared accommodation and we take into this into account. For example – say somebody comes back to your property with one of your flat mates, this person then enters your room and steals your guitar, as long as you report the incident to the police then you are still covered.

Please note that you do still have a duty of care requirement under the policy (you must, at all times, take all reasonable steps to prevent loss) with this in mind you should close windows and lock main entry and exit doors when you leave the property.

If you drop your guitar or spill a drink on your keyboard these incidents count as accidental damage.

Yes, you are automatically covered for your musical instruments anywhere within the United Kingdom.

Under this product we cannot cover your musical instruments outside of the UK.

Yes, you will just need to insure up to the total cost of the multiple items i.e. bass guitar £500 + electric guitar £500 means you should select £1,000 for musical instruments cover.

Yes, we cover the instrument for accidental damage. Meaning we will repair or replace it for you.

It may, but some contents insurance policies exclude instruments. If they are included it is a good idea to check the limit as it may not be high enough. Our standalone policy can cover the instrument up to £3,000.

Musical instruments are expensive to replace, so it pays to have a good insurance policy to protect them, but it is not compulsory.

You need to select cover up to the amount it would cost you to replace all your instruments as new. 

Accidental damage, loss and theft: This covers your instruments if they are damaged, lost or stolen.

Our musical instrument insurance can cover all types of musical instruments up to £3,000 in total such as traditional instruments (acoustic and electric guitars, drums, strings and pianos) and their accessories (cases, pedals, adaptors, drum sticks and bows), if they are damaged or stolen at the same time.

We will also cover the cost up to £100 of hiring temporary replacement musical instruments whilst your insured instrument is undergoing repair or awaiting a replacement.

Musical Instruments Quote